Using doctest-discover with Stack revisited

2016-02-10

This is follow-up to this post

A fellow Haskeller asked the following question:

Hi,

I followed your blog-post but without success in a relative simple project, so I peeked into this project to figure some differences out. But you removed the dependency to doctest-discover in 7ccdf59. Can you elaborate why, maybe in a follow up or update?:) Just out of curiosity. I think I will try your current approach, too.

Greetings & Thanks

I responded to his question and thought I’d be worth repeating my answer here:

@MaxDaten: Thanks for pointing out this discrepancy. I found and used doctest-discover (which I still think is an excellent package) while writing the blog post and then decided to take a slightly different approach a few days later. The main motivation behind this was to get the project building with Travis-CI. Since doctest-discover is not yet in Stackage, I ran into problems with this (see failed build, for example). Without this non-Stackage dependency, the project builds reliably in Travis-CI (see successful build).

I have suggested to the owner of doctest-discover that he add it to the Stackage repository, but I don’t think he is strongly motivated to do so (see thread). I also tried to get the Travis-CI build working using extra-deps in my stack.yaml configuration, but I ran out of patience. I’m sure this is possible and might try it again some time in the future.

For the time being, I’ve tagged the revision immediately before 7ccdf59 and updated the blog post to reference this tag instead of HEAD. Some time soon I’ll write a follow-up post mentioning this.

If you’re still having issues, please let me know what build or test failures you’re seeing and maybe I can help point you in the right direction.

I hope that’s useful to someone!

Tags: Haskell, Stack, GitHub

All content © 2017 Richard Cook. All rights reserved.